- I now have a flickr account. I’m particularly proud of this photo.
- The Satyrian lyrics have been removed. Better edited versions are available on darklyrics. Even uncredited, it still feels good that they originated from me
- The quotes section has been removed. There are just too many good ones and my preferences change too often. Of those that were on that page, here are the ones that I still like:
Music in the soul can be heard by the universe. (Lao Tzu)
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former. (attributed to Albert Einstein)
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we ourselves possess. (J. R. R. Tolkien)
Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better. (Albert Camus)
Dreams permit each and every one of us to be quietly and safely insane every night of our lives. (William Dement)
There is no spoon. (The Matrix)
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams. (Equilibrium) (actually W. B. Yeats)
I believe if there’s any kind of God, it wouldn’t be in any of us, not you or me, but just this little space in between. If there’s any kind of magic in this world, it must be in the attempt of understanding someone sharing something. I know, it’s almost impossible to succeed, but who cares really? The answer must be in the attempt. (Before Sunrise)
de Liviu Rebreanu.
O carte care imortalizează fricţiunea dintre sine şi lumea exterioară, prezentând drama lui Apostol Bologa, suflet distrus de realitatea războiului, rupt între datorie şi patriotism, ros de “tirania gândurilor” în singurătate; dar care în sfârşit îşi găseşte împăcarea în iubire şi credinţă. Romanul începe cu o presimţire, dezgroapă din trecut o cauză, iar apoi redă cu dureros detaliu rostogolirea în jos a unei vieţi, în acelaşi timp găsind o cale pentru emanciparea spiritului. Deşi se ciocnesc, se sparg şi renasc în fundal, diversele frânturi de filozofie (judecata, vinovăţia, iertarea, religia) nu duc — poate intenţionat — spre nici un răspuns definitiv. În schimb, în minte răsună metalic cuvintele reci, “îmi fac datoria.”
Autorul m-a impresionat prin bogăţia stilului. Pe fiecare pagină se ascund diamante ale expresiei şi ale emoţiei. Este primul roman românesc care mi-a plăcut cu adevărat. Doar două dintre diamantele mai sus amintite:
by Graham Greene… A book which views life from behind very dark glasses. Read the rest of this entry »
Romanul lui Camil Petrescu face parte dintr-o serie de opere româneşti pe care mi-am propus să le citesc pentru a-mi şterge o dată şi pentru totdeauna impresia că nu există cărţi româneşti care merită citite. (Totuşi a reuşit numai pe jumătate.) Read the rest of this entry »
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies.
For this and other gems of Bokononism, read Kurt Vonnegut’s book. It’s a pretty amazing science fiction novel with original ideas about life and religion. No damn cat, and no damn cradle!
Here are just some of the interesting quotations. I should have paid more attention
- Anyone unable to understand how a useful religion can be founded on lies will not understand this book either.
- There is enough love in this world for everybody, if people will just look.
- Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God.
- Maturity […] is a bitter disappointment for which no remedy exists, unless laughter can be said to remedy anything.
- It is not possible to make a mistake.
- Science is magic that works.
- It is never a mistake to say goodbye.
- A lover’s a liar,
To himself he lies.
The truthful are loveless,
Like oysters their eyes!
- Don’t be afraid of straining your brains. They won’t break.
- History! Read it and weep!
- Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way.
- Live by the foma that make you brave and kind and healthy and happy.
See here for more quotes.